About this Recipe
Cardamom and harissa give roasted turkey authentic shawarma flavor inspired by Middle Eastern cuisine. Wrap in a pita, drizzle with tzatziki, toss on some red cabbage slaw and pair with a cold beer for a mouthwatering happy hour must-have.
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a large stainless steel bowl or 4–6" half-size stainless steel hotel pan and blend well. Add the slices of turkey and blend well with the marinade. Marinate for 24 hours, stirring every 8–10 hours.
- Preheat the grill (gas or charcoal) to medium-high heat.
- Prep the grilling grid with a light coating of oil. Remove the turkey from the marinade and allow the excess marinade to drain. Grill the marinated turkey to a golden brown (there should be a few dark spots from grilling) on both sides. The internal temperature must be 165ºF. Rest for 5 minutes, and then thinly slice.
- Serve on a warm pita with Tzatziki Sauce and Red Cabbage and Carrot Slaw (Recipes Below).
- 1/2 cup Ascend® Juice, Lemon
- 3 bay leaves , fresh
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon, ground, roasted
- 3 tbsp cumin, ground
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp Burst™ Spices Turmeric, Ground
- 3 tbsp cardamom, ground
- 3 tbsp coriander, ground
- 1 tbsp harissa
- 3 tbsp lemon zest
- 4 tbsp Peak Fresh Produce® Garlic, Clove(s), minced
- 3/4 cup Piancone® Oil, Olive
- 1 tsp West Creek® Salt
- Place diced cucumber into a towel, squeeze dry and discard the water.
- Combine all ingredients and blend well.
- Place into a container with a lid and refrigerate.
- 4 oz Peak Fresh Produce® Cucumber(s), English, peeled and seeded, 1/4" diced
- 1 tbsp Peak Fresh Produce® Garlic, Clove(s), minced
- 1 lemon lemon zest
- 2 tbsp Peak Fresh Produce® Mint, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Piancone® Oil, Olive, Extra Virgin
- 2 tsp salt, kosher
- 1 tsp West Creek® Vinegar, Red Wine
- 16 oz yogurt, Greek, plain fat-free
Red Cabbage and Carrot Slaw
- First, make the lemon vinaigrette.
- In a stainless steel bowl, combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar and salt. Whisk with a wire whip. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Whisk in pepper and adjust the salt. Allow to stand 5 minutes before using.
- Then, toss together 1/3 cup lemon vinaigrette, mint, red cabbage and carrots in a stainless steel bowl. Refrigerate for 10-20 minutes before serving.
- 2 tbsp Ascend® Juice, Lemon
- 3 cup cabbage, red, thinly shredded
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup Peak Fresh Produce® Mint, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp Piancone® Oil, Olive
- to taste salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp West Creek® Sugar, Granulated